Friday 23 October 2009

moving into town tomorrow

my stuff is still spread around my room in a vaguely artistic way but sadly rather far away from being packed into my rucksack. as you can tell, instead of packing, i decided to update my blog. gotta love procrastination. anywhooooo, i have now been in Oberbayern for about 1.5 weeks and was starting to settle in - was because by moving again tomorrow lots changes. in the last 1.5 weeks I got used to walking to and from work whatever the weather was like: snow, rain, fog, frost, mud, sunshine. i got used to views of the mountains, walks down to the lake, complete darkness and almost complete silence in the evenings, a house heated by a wood oven, occasional fresh farm produce, etc. with my move into town I will try and get lifts to work with other people, be able to go out all the time, go shopping all the time, but hopefully also become involved in a more active social surroundings again. although maybe not so much for the first month as I don't really have any money, hehe. Rosenheim boasts shops (including at least two wool shops it seems - more knitting, yay), a cinema, a swimming pool, a library, a dinosaur exhibition, a couple of small museums and galleries, restaurants, and the Inn - the river that also runs through Innsbruck in Austria. more random knowledge: apparently the Austrian border is only about 17km away and it has been recommended that I visit Kufstein, one of the nearest towns in Austria, somewhat surrounded by mountains. talking about visiting, if I one day in the near future have some money again I not only want to see München but also Salzburg and, if Milan sticks around, Bratislava (only about 5-6 hours by train in the opposite direction to Basel). but yes first i need to move. then i need to settle into my new home, buy a duvet and bedclothes and a towel, and get to know my new flatmates. then hopefully it will be end of november at some point and the money situation will be looking up and life will pick up again. also of course at some point i need to think about what i am going to do after these six months. currently i have no idea. i am still playing with idea of doing a PhD, I actually rather like this idea, just no sure I have the time or energy to write a research proposal. otherwise I am thinking about staying in HR and maybe looking for a graduate/trainee scheme to join. sound good? maybe. what else? have met a couple of new people, work is picking up as I can do more and more without someone looking over my shoulder and spend less and less time looking over someone else's shoulder. although I have to remember I have only been working for just over a week so it is no wonder that I still have a million questions and am not capable to do everything and anything. Tuesday there was a "Musterverkauf" at work where they sold off some of the pieces, which were made but not put up for sale i.e. early versions of things that were later on changed before going to the shops. I bought new sunglasses and two armbands. a couple more sales coming up apparently so another reason to save a few pennies on other activities (although preferably not wool or swimming). ah yes, went to a delicious pizzeria on Monday with part of the international HR team, which I am also part of. yummyyummy. didn't honestly expect such delicious pizza in Oberbayern. usually I eat a proper meal in the canteen for lunch and then just have a bread and cheese and salad for supper but it seems I will eat the occasional meal out in the evening as well. not good for the budget. as you can tell I am currently somewhat obsessed by money or the lack thereof. i will survive, some would say. what other news? still not quite sure if I am going to graduation. sent off the form saying I would come but of course I only sent it off today (deadline was yesterday) so who knows. for Christmas I will be in the UK as well from the 24th to the 28th December, then back to work for a couple of days, and then possibly Switzerland (maybe even Basel) for new years. also looking forward to visitors coming here to see me, hopefully sooner rather than later - subtle hint everyone! ok, seems like I can't think of anything intelligent to write so maybe I should pack and then go to bed. xxxxxxx

p.s. pictures: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=154610&id=663901806&l=bad975c856

No comments:

Post a Comment