Thursday 15 October 2009

climate change and other vaguely related topics

above all this is for Jenny but also as many of you know I have an opinion on everything so I will write a little comment on climate change.

I don't really want children anyway but if I did I would worry about what kind of world they would grow old in and what kind of world their children might be born into. I don't think it should be taken lightly that some of us have seen the Aletsch Gletscher in its current state (or its state many years ago in some cases), that we have dived stunning coral reefs and currently that it is snowing down to a few hundred meters above snow level in Bavaria in October. although I suppose people like most of us will somehow be able to afford a reasonable life. tbh I don't actually seem to have a strong opinion on climate change or at least I am not the eco-type as I know I love my laptop too much but there a few related things I believe in possibly slightly stronger than the average 23 year old: buying local products - importing exotic fruits from places like chile and south africa has a massive negative impact on the environment and unless they are fairtrade there is no reason to do so. fairtrade and organic do not rule the food world but buying locally should. ideally in the (veryveryvery) long run this would also encourage third world countries to learn to live off their own produce rather than importing unnecessary rarities (this I experienced first hand in Honduras). secondly, using public transports and bicycles more - quite often it is so much faster especially when travel is associated with larger cities. it also makes people move even if it is only walking to the bus. imagine how much money you could save by not owning a car. thirdly, not having electrical appliances that are hardly ever used plugged in and i promise I try and remember to unplug my chargers and suchlike when they are not charging anything.

this is as far as my opinion currently goes in these matters. as I said this post is for Jenny and for Blog Action Day www.blogactionday.org

2 comments:

  1. I think you mean down to sea level not snow level in Bavaria but probably only I would notice that! Glad to see Jenny likes your blog - and where is Jenny - in Brussels?

    ReplyDelete